This project included the demolition of the existing Station #3 in its entirety, construction of a new 24,000 SF Station #3 on the same site, and renovation of the historic fire station headquarters, originally built in 1928. The new Station #3, which is connected to the existing fire headquarters building, features five drive-through apparatus bays with crew quarters above, a watch room, firefighter kitchen, Emergency Operations Center, back-up dispatch, fitness room, standby room, fire support storage space, and a new 120-foot high radio tower. The fire headquarters’ 6,000 SF floor plan, systems, and finishes were renovated and repurposed to continue housing the Fire Department administration and Fire Prevention offices.
- 31,000 SF
- 21-month schedule
- Maintained mission-critical operations (back-up dispatch & city communications) during construction until new operations were operational, and switched over
- Work included establishing location, temp bunk facility design & installation, temp garage with working HVAC and Plymovent, and emergency traffic control, both temporary and future
- The station is situated on a very challenging and congested site, bordered by the MWRA Sudbury Aqueduct, a residential neighborhood, and Centre Street
- Pursuant to M.G.L. Chapter 149A CM-at-Risk