Northeastern University Mugar Life Sciences
330 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115
About This Project
Renovations and upgrades in Northeastern University’s Mugar Life Sciences building included a Chemical Waste Drain Lines and Drinking Water Line Replacement project, a Radioactive Waste Storage Relocation project, a fire sprinkler infrastructure project, and numerous faculty office/lab refresh projects.
On the chemical waste piping and water lines replacement project, the team performed tests to the existing acid waste system and determined the entire piping system needed to be replaced. The scope included the installation of all new drinking water piping throughout the entire building for drinking fountains, kitchenette sinks, restrooms, emergency eyewashes, and showers.
The radioactive waste project involved new lab casework stations with sinks, additional shelving, freshly painted walls, and minor electrical and ductwork modifications.
The fire sprinkler infrastructure project included demolition and installation of new sprinkler mains and piping on all 4 floors as well as the basement level.
The renovation of office 122 and office 101 converted three existing offices into four new offices and added an entry vestibule to 122. Work included minor demo and sprinkler head relocation; new carpet, walls, ACT, split unit HVAC, paint, illuminated shelving, and new light fixtures. The team partially renovated 108 Mugar to accommodate equipment for a newly arriving staff member to conduct their research.
- 13-month schedule for Chemical Waste and Drain Lines project
- 400 SF – Radioactive Waste project over 3-months
- 40,000 SF – Sprinkler Replacement over 5-months
- Off-hours work and scheduling around school hours was a priority in order to minimize interruption to students, staff and building operations
- Installed three 900-gallon tanks within the building, requiring additional plumbing and sprinkler work
- Minor AV installations were conducted in 800 SF Mugar Classroom 201
- Included the conversion of a 80 SF storage room into a lactation room with new flooring, paint, ACT upgrades, HVAC, and electrical systems