This project was executed by A.J. Martini, Inc. prior to being acquired by Commodore in 2012.
A long-standing member of the Winchester community, the Mount Vernon House has served seniors since 1894. The Mount Vernon House is situated in a residential neighborhood, just steps from the Winchester town center. Originally, this home for seniors occupied a single 1800s home and over time expanded into a neighboring historic one. In the 1960s an addition was created to connect the two buildings.
In 2008, the project team provided services that included the restoration of the two historic buildings, the construction of a new 3-story addition, which would accommodate current and future program needs and below grade parking. The renovation and addition provided function, modern amenities and accessibility.
The finished project created 17 new residential units, a dining facility serviced by a commercial kitchen, a nurse’s station, an exercise room, administrative offices, a library and a beauty salon. The construction was completed while the facility remained fully occupied by the residents of the senior living home. In addition, all work had to be conducted in a manner that met the tight constraints of a residential neighborhood.