This project was executed by A.J. Martini, Inc. prior to being acquired by Commodore in 2012.
A.J. Martini, Inc. was the construction manager for the restoration and structural rehabilitation of the 16-sided, 110-foot high, domed rotunda building originally built over the course of 20 years and completed in 1878. The 4-story, 18,000 SF building was designed in the high Victorian Gothic style.
The highly complex restoration work included extensive repairs or replacement to all major exterior elements, including bluestone and sandstone cladding (from quarries in Ohio & Schenectady), replacement of 288 stained-glass windows and restoration of the Nott’s variegated slate-covered dome roof.
Capitalizing on Nott’s central location and status as a campus icon, Union College programmed the refurbished building for a variety of uses as a student center. The space includes a reading room, exhibit gallery and 460-seat lecture hall, to encourage foot traffic.
Listed in the National Registry of Historical Buildings.